This is my blog about the trials and tribulations of setting up our web site.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Research, research, research - And then feel like an idiot

All aspects of your web site should be thoroughly examined, whether it is function, style, seo, usability, etc. Here is a perfect example, we have been using Canada Post to ship all our packages as the price is right but shipments to the USA take usually around 8 business days to get there (they say allow 9-12 days). So we have been looking at FedEx and other carriers and going through all the usual cost analysis stuff. What we didn't look at was Canada Post. On their web site we found that if we electronically prepare the documentation and customs information for them we will not only get a reduced price (which I knew about) but also the delivery times for the USA would go down to 5-9 days. That makes a HUGE difference for our customers. That 1 little piece of information was well worth the 3 hours it took of digging through the mess they call a web site.

I feel like an idiot (for posting this) but also for not exploring all the options. If it is looking on a web site, or calling your supplier, look for new suppliers, etc. you never know if there there is a better deal out there unless you look and ask. The 3-4 days we can knock off of shipping time to the USA could mean the difference between repeat business and no repeat business, and it is repeat business that will mean the difference between a sucessful store or a side line hobby.

This can be applied to all aspects of your business such as every year end take a look at the numbers and see where you can cut costs. Research other suppliers to make sure you are getting the best deal or ask you current supplier "is this the best you can do", reorganize your work day to cut down on the number of miles you have to drive or the time it takes to get to work, etc. And my #1 tip for the day; plan your to do list before you go to sleep every night, that alone will cut your work day by 30%.

I know this seems like common knowledge but everyone needs to be reminded of it sometimes.

2 Comments:

Blogger richandzhaoyan said...

Pete,

I am pleased to hear you found a solution to your shipping problem, even if it was there all along :)

Your latest post certainly sounds familiar to me in lots of aspects. I wouldnt worry about the time it has taken you to find out about the different shipping method. There are a huge number of ways in which any business can be improved but I am finding it is very much an evolving, often painstakingly slow process but it gets there in the end.

Since setting up the online store, I have never been short of a "to do" list - in fact, the longer the site has been up, it seems the more there is to do.

This runs right across the board from modifications to the website, increasing the stock/supplier range, improving the running of the physical operation, reducing costs and increasing margins, etc, etc...

The list is endless and it just keeps growing.

I am a very impatient person and often feel that things are progressing very slowly if not at all. In my case, although all my thoughts are forward - I do have to sometimes stop and recap - in the last two years - I have set up an online business from scratch, aquired the warehouse and a couple of staff to run it and increased the businesses turnover fairly dramatically - Really not too bad going - Its just that I have a tendancy to just look at the pending list and get a little weighed down.

Not sure I am quite organised enough to write out the nightly "to do" list - I am usually working too late on something or other and then just pass out! What I do have in place is a mental yearly "to do" list and, despite my doubts, it usually seems to progress ok.

Your tip of the day though is certainly a top one and I reckon that I will try to make use of it as much as I can - I know it does work.

Cheers,
Rich

7:02 p.m.

 
Blogger JavaRoasters said...

Hi Rich,

I see you are back from the depths of your warehouse, I hope life is back to normal (whatever that is)?
To do list are never short, mine is very long also, my parents keep asking me when the site will be finished???? I just laugh when they ask now.
I felt like an idiot writing the post but I felt it is one of those things that you need to be reminded of once in awhile, just to keep it in your thoughts.

I find the nightly to do list helps so much, otherwise I spend the first couple of hours a day drinking coffee, viewing forums/blogs, etc. and don't get on with the work that needs to be done. I think if you gave it a try for a few weeks you would find yourself more productive and more on top of things that needed you attention. By having it in front of you I think you would be amazed at how much of it you can get done by 9am. There is an excellent pen + paper organizer called harvard planner that is very easy to use (once you understand it) that can really help you keep on top of tasks and projects. It is not that much $$.

8:51 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home